Literature again. It’s time to see who’s been doing their summer reading.
A number of literary works begin with a significant sentence or phrase. Here are some. Identify the author, and for extra credit, identify the work.
- It was the best of times, it was the worst of times
- Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
- In the second century of the Christian æra [This opening is so critical that a man used the words to name his children.]
- It was a pleasure to burn.
- It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
- Call me Ishmael.
- These are the times that try men’s souls.
- Mama died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don’t know.
No fair running to Google. There is a page that lists many famous opening lines. Post your answer as a comment below. Best score wins.